E-waste recycling is crucial because it helps prevent toxic waste from being added to the landfills and provides many benefits to the environment. The numerous precious metals which can be extracted from recycled electronics can be reused to remanufacture new products, saving energy, reduce pollution as well as help protect the earth’s natural resources by reducing the need to mine for raw materials.
There are many reasons to recycle your e-waste.
– E-waste is consider one of the fastest-growing waste streams in the world. We live in a society where electronic equipment are thrown away whenever newer and more attractive products come out into the market. As a result, electronic waste is becoming the fastest-growing waste stream in the world, with tens of millions of tons of e-waste generated annually. E-waste includes end-of-life computers, monitors, laptops, mobile phones, printers, hard drives, servers, etc.
– E-waste contains toxic chemicals. Regardless of the growth in consumption of electronics, it is estimated that only 20% of global e-waste is currently being recycled, with the remaining 80% being incinerated or dumped into the landfills, with potentially disastrous consequences for the environment. Most electronic devices do contain toxic materials such as mercury and lead as well as other harmful chemicals which, when disposed of improperly, can pollute the air and soil and seep into water sources. The domino effect can be and is disastrous for the environment.
– E-waste contains recyclable materials. Disposing of end-of-life electronic equipment properly and legally is essential to protect the environment. Virtually all e-waste contains some form of recyclable material that can be re-used to manufacture new products. Glass, plastic and metals such as gold, aluminum and copper can all be stripped from old electronics and reused to make new ones. This is the most responsible form or recycling there is.
It is strongly encouraged you find a R2 Certified recycler in your area such as Techno Rescue. R2 stands for Responsible Recycling and is a standard specifically created for the electronics recycling industry by Sustainable Electronics Recycling International (SERI).
– Recycling e-waste can and will protect the earth’s natural resources. Obtaining and recycling materials from e-waste will limit the need to mine them from the earth and contribute to conserve the natural resources worldwide. According to the United Nations, metal deposits in e-waste are up to 40 to 50 times richer than ore extracted from mines. That being said, recycling precious metals preserve the earth’s resources as well as offer a more efficient way to obtain them.
Not only is it the law to properly dispose of e-waste, it is also the right thing to do, especially for businesses who will consume a lot more. It is vital however for businesses to find a R2 Certified company such as Techno Rescue to assist in legally and properly disposing of their e-waste. In addition to collecting the unwanted electronic equipment from your premises, we will ensure that any confidential data is securely destroyed before recycling your e-waste. Techno Rescue also provides onsite data destruction services using equipment specifically designed and optimized for any quantities.
Techno Rescue is a Veteran-Owned, Full Life-Cycle, Green IT Company specializing in IT Asset Disposition (ITAD), Electronics Recycling, IT Asset Management/Re-Marketing, Data Center Decommissioning and Secured Data Destruction.